Sheffield United look for their first post-lockdown win as they welcome Arsenal to Bramall Lane in the FA Cup Quarter-Finals.
Sheffield Utd are looking to reach their first FA Cup semi-final since 2014, whilst Arsenal look to reach the last four for the first time since last winning the competition in 2017.
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Lys Mousset and Jack O’ Connell could be in contention for Sheffield Utd if they both pass late fitness tests following respective ankle and knee injuries.
Arsenal are expecting to have Kieran Tierney in contention, despite suffering cramp on his return from a shoulder injury at Southampton on Thursday.
Bernd Leno, Calum Chambers, Gabriel Martinelli (all knee) and Pablo Mari (ankle) are definite absentees, whilst Lucas Torreira (ankle) and Cedric Soares (facial) are around a week away from returning to the first-team but won’t be risked here.
- Sheffield United have won just three FA Cup ties against Arsenal, of which their last two such victories came in replays (W3, D3, L6).
- Arsenal have won three previous FA Cup trips to Bramall Lane (W3, L2).
- Sheffield Utd are unbeaten in nine previous meetings against London based clubs this season in all competitions (W5, D9).
- Four of Arsenal’s five FA Cup goals this season have come from academy graduates (Reiss Nelson, Bukayo Saka x 1, Eddie Nketiah x 2).
- The Blades have kept first-half clean sheets in three FA Cup games so far this season.
After Wednesday’s abject performance at Manchester United, this is now a huge test of Sheffield Utd’s European credentials if want to keep two paths into Europe alive.
Arsenal however aren’t exactly in fine form themselves, having mainly relied on mistakes to win at Southampton on Thursday which shows how little confidence they currently have in clinical finishing.
I therefore am expecting either a drab game or a thriller but given Utd’s record against London based clubs this season, this game has probably come at an ideal time to get out of their rut with a huge win.
Prediction: Sheffield United 1-0 Arsenal
Result: Sheffield United 1-2 Arsenal