Tottenham begin their second consecutive season of Champions League knockout action as they welcome RB Leipzig to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in the first leg of their Last 16 encounter.
Having reached the Final last season under Mauricio Pochettino, Tottenham will be hoping to once again move closer to a second consecutive final as they look to secure a comfortable advantage over RB Leipzig ahead of next month’s second leg.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Son Heung-min has been ruled out for Tottenham after fracturing his arm during Sunday’s win at Aston Villa.
Erik Lamela is expected to be in contention if he passes a late fitness test on a groin injury, which had sidelined him in recent weeks.
Juan Foyth (groin), Moussa Sissoko (knee) and Harry Kane (hamstring) all remain ruled out.
RB Leipzig will be without Tyler Adams due to a calf injury suffered last week in training.
Ibrahima Konate (hamstring), Willi Orban (knee), Kevin Kampl (ankle) and Dayot Upamecano (suspension) are all sidelined.
- This is the first ever meeting between Tottenham Hotspur and RB Leipzig in all competitions.
- Tottenham have lost three of their last nine home Champions League matches (W6, L3), whilst scoring in eight of those nine home games.
- RB Leipzig are yet to keep a clean sheet in 12 away games in all European competitions.
- Harry Kane has scored all three of Spurs’ Champions League home games this season, although he is ruled out of this match through injury.
- RB Leipzig have scored six away goals in the Champions League this season, of which three have come either side of half time.
Losing Son is a huge blow for Tottenham because with him and Kane both out, I am struggling to see what sort of impact Tottenham can have on this game unless Lucas Moura raises his game.
RB Leipzig meanwhile are woeful defensively away from home which will give Spurs a bit of heart, although I am expecting this to be a scrappy game with midfield playing a huge factor in the result.
I therefore can see goals here but am going for a home win if Spurs have learned something from Sunday’s gritty win, although RB Leipzig will fancy a potentially pivotal away goal if they can.
Prediction: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 RB Leipzig
Result: Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 RB Leipzig