Tottenham Hotspur welcome Middlesbrough to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in Tuesday’s big Third Round replay of this season’s FA Cup.
Lucas Moura rescued Spurs a 1-1 draw in the original tie at the Riverside Stadium but Boro will be keen to hit back and cause a cupset, as they look to continue their resurgent form from the past month.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Jose Mourinho has no fresh injury concerns to worry about after Tottenham’s defeat to Liverpool on Saturday, as he prepares to once again rotate his squad.
Hugo Lloris (elbow) and Ben Davies (ankle) could both return at the weekend but Tanguy Ndombele (groin), Moussa Sissoko (knee) and Harry Kane (hamstring) are all ruled out.
Middlesbrough also have no fresh injury concerns after their 2-2 draw with Derby on Saturday.
Daniel Ayala, Ryan Shotton, Britt Assombalonga (all ankle), George Friend (tendon) and Anfernee Dijksteel (knee) are also sidelined.
- Tottenham have never lost to Middlesbrough in the FA Cup (W3, D2).
- These teams have met in a FA Cup replay once before, drawing 1-1 at Ayresome Park in February 1905 before Spurs won the replay at home 1-0 five days later.
- Boro have scored just once in three previous FA Cup trips to Spurs but this is the first FA Cup game at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
- Tottenham have won each of their last five FA Cup replays, of which four took place at home with three coming against lower league opposition.
- Boro have won three of their last five FA Cup replays but have lost their last two against Sunderland and Newport respectively.
Tottenham were unlucky to not at least get a draw against Liverpool despite benching some quality players, so expect to see a tough Tottenham team dominating if they can quickly get a foothold on this game.
Middlesbrough however has improved defensively over the last month, meaning that Spurs controlling the game will suit them quite perfectly, in terms of the counter-attack which they executed brilliantly at home.
I therefore can see Spurs facing a tough test to break the Teessiders’ defence down but their defence is still a worry, so I can see Boro at least taking this to extra time if they can but the first goal will be crucial.
Prediction: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Middlesbrough AET
Result: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Middlesbrough (After Normal Time)