Southampton look to continue their improved form as they visit Newcastle United at St James’ Park.
Newcastle could go eighth with a win whereas Southampton can climb out of the relegation zone with victory and other results going in their favour.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Allan Saint-Maximin is a doubt for Newcastle after suffering an ankle injury during Thursday’s away win over Sheffield United.
DeAndre Yedlin however could return from a groin injury if he passes a late fitness test, whilst Florian Lejeune isn’t be risked until he is fully match fit.
Jamaal Lascelles (leg) and Matt Ritchie (ankle) are still sidelined but could return within the next month.
Southampton have no fresh injury concerns as Sofiane Boufal nears a return from a toe injury,
Stuart Armstrong however is still absent with a hamstring injury but could return next weekend.
- Newcastle are unbeaten in their last four meetings with Southampton (W2, D2).
- Southampton have conceded three goals in each of their last three visits to St James’ Park, only replying with the one goal which came in April’s 3-1 defeat.
- Newcastle’s last consecutive league wins over Southampton in same calendar year came back in 1987, when they scored twice during both wins despite conceding once.
- Southampton’s Angus Gunn has already made six sweeper clearances in 10 appearances this season, matching the same amount in just 10 appearances last season.
- Newcastle have made a league-high 432 clearances in 15 games this season.
Newcastle were brilliantly tactical in their midweek win at Sheffield United, shutting down the Blades’ usual style whilst clinically finishing their own shots.
Southampton meanwhile were dominant at home to Norwich, which is a great positive coming into this fixture because their away form is inconsistent, so this is a tough game to call.
I therefore am going for a home win because Newcastle look strong defensively whilst mixing up their play depending on their opposition, and that seems to be working at the minute.
Prediction: Newcastle United 1-0 Southampton
Result: Newcastle United 2-1 Southampton