After suffering their first defeat under Jose Mourinho in midweek, Tottenham Hotspur look to hit back as they welcome a shaky Burnley to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
A win could temporarily send Spurs up to fifth providing that Crystal Palace don’t beat Watford, whilst Burnley look to leapfrog their hosts and move into eighth.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Tottenham have no fresh injury concerns to report after Wednesday’s defeat at Manchester United.
Erik Lamela (hamstring) and Michel Vorm (calf) won’t be risked this weekend but could be fit to return next weekend away at Wolves.
Ben Davies (ankle) and Hugo Lloris (elbow) are still sidelined until further notice.
Burnley could welcome a host of players back from various injuries subject to successful passes of late fitness tests.
Charlie Taylor (hamstring), Ashley Westwood and Ashley Barnes (groin) could return along with Kevin Long (hip) and Phil Bardsley, who suffered a knock in training after Tuesday’s defeat to Manchester City.
- Tottenham have lost just one of their last seven meetings with Burnley (W4, D2, L1).
- Burnley haven’t won in any of their last eight trips to Spurs since taking a 4-1 League Cup win in January 1983 (D1, L7).
- Tottenham’s Christian Eriksen was the only non striker to score in either meeting last season, helping Spurs to a 1-0 win here last December.
- Dwight McNeil will become the first Burnley player this season to create 100+ crosses, if he produces just two such crosses in this match.
- Harry Kane is the only Tottenham player to have scored more than one headed league goal this campaign.
Tottenham were dreadful in midweek because they gave Man Utd far too much space to dominate, although they did a solid job when attacking but the shape was overall to blame for their defeat.
Burnley meanwhile were just ripped apart by a clinical Man City team so I am hoping that they will bounce back here, especially given how tight the battle for fifth is and any points against top teams could be crucial.
We should therefore see a competitive game here between two teams who aren’t the best defensively but Tottenham should have the edge here if they can sort out their shape.
Prediction: Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Burnley
Result: Tottenham Hotspur 5-0 Burnley