Manchester City welcome local rivals, Manchester United to the Etihad Stadium for the first Manchester derby of the season.
A win will temporarily send City up to second whilst United will go fifth with victory.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Oleksandr Zinchenko could return for Manchester City after spending recent weeks sidelined with a knee injury.
Ilkay Gundogan is also set to feature after serving a one match ban in midweek.
Sergio Aguero (muscle), Leroy Sane and Aymeric Laporte (both knee) are still sidelined.
Manchester United could welcome Anthony Martial back from an undisclosed injury, although the Frenchman is likely to come on from the bench rather than start.
Marcos Rojo (muscle) and Nemanja Matic (groin) are also in contention to feature but face late fitness tests.
Paul Pogba (ankle), Diogo Dalot (groin), Eric Bailly and Timothy Fosu-Mensah (both knee) are all ruled out but could return in time for the festive fixtures later this month.
- Manchester City have lost just one of their last five meetings with United (W3, D1, L1).
- Both teams have scored in two of the last three Manchester derbies held at the Etihad, with the exception being a goalless draw in April 2017.
- Four of City’s five goals in this fixture last season came from midfielders, with the exception of Sergio Aguero who scored here in November 2018 in between goals from David Silva and Ilkay Gundogan plus Martial’s effort for United.
- United’s Marcus Rashford has had the most shots out of all English players in the Premier League this season, producing 48 shots.
- City’s David Silva is the most subbed player in Premier League history, having been subbed off 133 times in 296 appearances.
With both teams struggling to match the heights of last season, this is a huge derby in terms of momentum as City go for the title, whilst United look to at least salvage fifth in a scrappy tussle involving various teams.
City in fact were ruthless at Burnley in midweek so will surely fancy their chances against a weak United defence, whereas the Red Devils simply have to hope that City’s shape collapses like Tottenham’s did.
I therefore am going for a Citizens win because I can’t see United matching them for quality, although it should be a cracking game full of opportunities at both ends.
Prediction: Manchester City 2-1 Manchester United
Result: Manchester City 1-2 Manchester United