Everton begin life after Marco Silva as they welcome Chelsea to Goodison Park in this weekend’s opening Premier League clash.
A win will temporarily lift Everton out of the bottom three whilst Chelsea will once again stay fourth no matter what happens here.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Fabian Delph could return for Everton after missing their last four matches with a thigh injury.
Seamus Coleman could also return after missing their last two games with an undisclosed injury.
Jean-Phillipe Gbamin (tendon), Andre Gomes (ankle) and Cuco Martina (knee) are all ruled out.
Chelsea could have Tammy Abraham available despite a hip concern in the past week forcing him off early on Wednesday night, against Aston Villa.
Ross Barkley is also expected to feature after illness kept him out in midweek but Antonio Rudiger (groin) is doubtful as he nears a return.
Marco van Ginkel (knee) and Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Achilles) are still long-term absentees.
- Everton have won one of their last six league meetings with Chelsea (W1, D2, L3).
- Everton have never beaten Chelsea twice at home in the same calendar year in the Premier League era.
- Chelsea haven’t kept a domestic clean sheet away from Stamford Bridge all season.
- Everton’s Jordan Pickford is yet to save a penalty this season in the league.
- Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham is just one of three English players to have scored an own goal already this season.
This is a huge clash for both teams but for very different reasons although every player is playing for their position come January.
Everton were solid in midweek when attacking Liverpool but defensively, they were an absolute shambles which makes me wonder who is playing for the Toffees and who needs moving on next month.
Chelsea meanwhile have had a transfer ban lifted so their players are going to need to step it up now, otherwise Frank Lampard might well be looking to sell those who haven’t adapted to his philosophy and freshen up the squad with added quality.
I therefore am expecting a tough encounter because both teams are fighting for different things, although Chelsea do look best placed to win this.
Prediction: Everton 1-2 Chelsea
Result: Everton 3-1 Chelsea