Liverpool look to extend their Premier League lead over Leicester as they welcome Brighton to Anfield.
A win will move Liverpool 11 points clear of Leicester although Man City could cut their deficit in the lunchtime game. Brighton meanwhile could go ninth with a shock victory over the Reds.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Fabinho could be ruled out for Liverpool after suffering an ankle injury in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with Napoli.
Naby Keita however could return after missing that game through illness, although Joel Matip and Nathaniel Clyne are still out with knee injuries.
Brighton could have Aaron Connolly available after he missed their last two games with a groin injury.
Solly March faces a late fitness test on a tight groin but Jose Izquierdo and Bernardo are still absent with knee injuries.
Liverpool are still unbeaten in the league this season with just the two points dropped, although they haven’t kept a clean sheet in their last 11 across all competitions.
Brighton have lost three of their last five games, on top of three defeats from their last three away trips in the league.
- Liverpool are unbeaten in their last nine meetings with Brighton (W8, D1), including winning all four Premier League meetings between the teams.
- Brighton lost both meetings last season by 1-0 results, with both of Liverpool’s goals coming from Mohamed Salah.
- Salah has scored in each of his last three appearances for Liverpool against Brighton.
- Brighton’s Mat Ryan has made just three sweeper clearances this season.
- Liverpool are yet to score from a free-kick in the league this season.
With a hectic December containing nine games across four competitions, this is an absolute must-win for Liverpool in terms of momentum.
Brighton however aren’t an easy team to beat so Liverpool will need to be at their absolute high pressing best, if they are to do what Leicester did last weekend and keep a clean sheet.
I therefore am expecting a tough game because Brighton will be tighter than they were against the Foxes, although Liverpool should sneak a win out of this encounter.
Prediction: Liverpool 1-0 Brighton
Result: Liverpool 2-1 Brighton