West Ham travel to Newport County looking to avoid a cupset as the pair collide in Tuesday’s big Second Round tie of this season’s Carabao Cup.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Newport will be without Mickey Demetriou as the defender recovers from an ankle injury.
Manager, Michael Flynn however is expected to have a near full squad at his disposal despite Demetriou’s absence.
Albian Ajeti could make his West Ham debut since joining in the summer as Manuel Pellegrini prepares to ring the changes.
- Newport have lost just one of three meetings with West Ham, although their two unbeaten games came at home (W1, D1, L1).
- Both teams scored in two previous meetings at Rodney Parade, with Newport emerging victorious in their only previous Cup meeting in February 1979 with a 2-1 win.
- West Ham have suffered just one Second Round exit since being promoted back to the Premier League in 2012, losing on penalties at home to Sheffield United after a 1-1 draw in August 2014.
- Hammers manager, Manuel Pellegrini previously won the competition twice with Manchester City in 2014 and 16 but never faced a team outside the top two tiers during those Cup winning seasons with the Citizens.
- He however guided the Hammers to a 8-0 home win over League Two’s Macclesfield Town in the Third Round last season.
After taking a hard fought first victory of the season over Watford on Saturday, West Ham will pose a stern test going forward irrespective of a bumpy pitch.
Newport however are unbeaten this season with four clean sheets but I can’t see that happening here, nor a cupset because the Hammers will be just too strong regardless of what quality is put on the bench.
Prediction: Newport County 1-3 West Ham United
Result: Newport County 0-2 West Ham United