Europa League chasing Everton meet top four chasing Chelsea at Goodison Park in a pivotal Premier League clash to wrap up this weekend’s Super Sunday.
With rivals around both teams away elsewhere this weekend, this is a huge physiological opportunity for both teams to collect three points and close the gap as Everton aim for seventh and Chelsea could go fourth with a huge win.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Everton have fullbacks, Seamus Coleman and Leighton Baines back from illness and a back injury respectively.
Kurt Zouma is ineligible to face Chelsea who is his parent club whilst Phil Jagielka isn’t ready yet to return from a knee injury but will be available in a fortnight’s time.
Chelsea have Gonzalo Higuaín available as Marco van Ginkel remains their only long-term absentee with an anterior cruciate ligament injury.
Everton enters this game with four points from their last six games and has scored just once in their last three home games.
Chelsea have lost just one of their last five league games coming into this match but have won just one of their last four away trips.
- Everton have drawn two of last six meetings with Chelsea in all competitions (D2, L4).
- Both draws came in last two clashes and finished goalless.
- Everton haven’t scored in their last two home games against Chelsea. Last time they drew three blanks against the Blues at home was in December 2008 – Third of three meetings that calendar year at Goodison Park.
- David Luiz and Jorginho of Chelsea have played the most through balls this season, producing 62 through balls between them.
- Richarlison and Gylfi Sigurdsson have scored 22 of Everton’s 41 goals between them.
This is a big chance for Everton to find some momentum to take into the run-in because after wins for Leicester and West Ham, they need all three points to keep touch in the race for seventh and Europa League football next season.
Chelsea meanwhile have enjoyed a positive few weeks and with confidence high, they will be favourites to win this but I fancy Everton to repeat their tactics against Liverpool and park the bus.
Prediction: Everton 0-0 Chelsea
Jake predicts: Everton 1-3 Chelsea
Result: Everton 2-0 Chelsea