In a rematch of last season’s FA Cup Final, Chelsea welcome Manchester United to Stamford Bridge for the last fifth round tie.
Chelsea will be hoping to make it four consecutive appearances in the last eight if win here. Manchester United meanwhile know that this competition represents their best hopes of a trophy this season but are winless in their last nine trips to Stamford Bridge.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Chelsea will hand Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Gary Cahill late fitness tests after both recovered from back injuries.
Danny Drinkwater also faces a late fitness test after recovering from an Achilles injury, as Marco van Ginkel remains sidelined with an anterior cruciate ligament injury.
Manchester United have no fresh injury concerns as Anthony Martial (groin) and Jesse Lingard (hamstring) are ruled out for next fortnight.
Marcos Rojo, Antonio Valencia and Matteo Darmian won’t be risked here ahead of United’s league meeting with Liverpool.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in last five FA Cup meetings with Manchester United (W4, D1).
- In five home FA Cup meetings with United, Chelsea have won on three occasions with clean sheet during each victory (W3, L2).
- As a player, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer won on his two trips to Stamford Bridge with Manchester United.
- Chelsea have four different goal scorers from across last three meetings with United in all competitions.
- Manchester United haven’t lost at this stage since 2005-06 season, only failing to reach this stage on three occasions since.
After contrasting fortunes in Europe midweek, I am expecting both to take this game seriously.
Chelsea however have tough decisions to make because victory here then in rest of competition could create a fixture congestion at end of season.
With their Europa League tie against Malmo on a knife-edge entering second leg on Thursday and the Carabao Cup Final to come on afterwards on Sunday, you have to wonder where the Blues’ priorities are at minute as pressure mounts on Maurizio Sarri to get the club a trophy and top four finish.
Manchester United meanwhile were outclassed by PSG in midweek but with no concern of potential fixture congestion, they should be back to their free flowing attacking style here.
In my eyes, Chelsea need to get the job done in normal time otherwise it will be a Man Utd win if need extra time.
Prediction: Chelsea 1-2 (AET) Manchester United