Having stunned four bigger teams en route to their first ever Semi-Final of any major cup competition, Burton Albion will be looking to cause a cupset at the Etihad.
Manchester City however will be tough opposition after progressing from each of their last three appearances at this stage en route to lifting the trophy in each of those seasons.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Manchester City have a near full squad to choose from with no fresh injury concerns.
Left-back, Benjamin Mendy is back training but won’t be available for selection until early February. Goalkeeper, Claudio Bravo is a long-term absentee with an Achilles rupture.
Burton will hand Stephen Quinn and John Brayford late fitness tests ahead of this match.
Scott Fraser and Jamie Allen are also available for the Brewers.
- This is the very first competitive meeting between Manchester City and Burton Albion.
- Five different Manchester City players have scored six goals between them in City’s three Carabao Cup games so far this season.
- Burton Albion have never reached this stage of a cup competition before.
- From last three appearances at this stage, Manchester City have won two of their opening first legs of which both came at home.
- Burton Albion boss, Nigel Clough was in charge of Sheffield United who were the last League One club to reach this stage back in 2014-15.
Burton’s best hope here will be to replicate what Bristol City did this time last season at the Etihad and avoid losing by more than two goals.
City however gave Rotherham a beating at weekend and despite various squad rotation, I fancy them to produce something similar and put this leg beyond the Brewers.
Prediction: Manchester City 5-0 Burton Albion
Result: Manchester City 9-0 Burton Albion