This weekend’s Sky Bet Championship action kicks off in Sheffield at Bramall Lane as Sheffield United meet Sheffield Wednesday in the ‘Steel City’ derby.
United come into this clash a point outside the automatic promotion spots whilst Wednesday aim to end a four match losing run, which has seen them slide down to 17th in table.
Team newsEmbed from Getty Images
Sheffield United could welcome winger, Mark Duffy back from a hip injury whilst defender, Chris Basham is also available after serving a one match ban.
Wednesday are hoping that strikers, Fernando Forestieri and Marco Matias will be available after recovering from hamstring injuries.
After taking 13 points out of 15 between the September and October international breaks, Sheffield United have been inconsistent lately with one win and draw apiece at home sandwiched in between two away defeats.
Across their last four home games, Billy Sharp has been the Blades top scorer with four goals whilst David McGoldrick has scored twice in second half.
The Owls are winless in their last four but scored in two of those games as they conceded 12 goals but netted two goals themselves.
- Sheffield United have lost just one of last five Steel City derbies played in Championship (W2, D2, L1)
- United’s two wins both came in opening meeting of last two championship seasons featuring both Sheffield clubs (2009-10 & 2017-18)
- January’s 0-0 draw at Bramall Lane was the first goalless draw in this fixture in 14 outings since January 2002.
- Leon Clarke has scored six goals in last six EFL games against Sheffield Wednesday, having left them in summer 2010.
- United have kept just one clean sheet in last three home games.
- Adam Reach has scored in each of Wednesday’s last three games in front of Sky Sports cameras but they all came at Hillsborough.
This should be a good game because United are flying high whilst Wednesday will be hoping Forestieri’s return can lift them out of their rut.
Ultimately, United are the stronger side so its hard to look past them here.
Prediction: Sheffield United 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Result: Sheffield United 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday