After a busy weekend of EFL action, we have finally reached the end of week one as Hull City welcome Aston Villa to the KCOM Stadium for some Monday Night Football.
Both sides have bene busy this summer for different reasons as Hull look to mount a promotion bid, whilst Villa face financial worries but who will be smiling come full time?
Team NewsEmbed from Getty Images
Hull City are expected to be without Kamil Grosicki and Jackson Irvine after the pair were in World Cup action over summer.
Ondrej Mazuch and James Weir are both ruled out with knee injuries but Reece Burke is amongst new signings set to make their Hull debuts.
Aston Villa have Jack Grealish available despite Tottenham being linked with the youngster as Thursday’s transfer deadline draws near.
Scott Hogan (groin), Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (ankle) and Callum O’Hare (knee) are all ruled out for the Villains here.
- This is the second consecutive season in which these teams meet on opening weekend, having drew 1-1 at Villa Park this time last season.
- In five clashes during month of August, Villa won twice to Hull’s once as well as a pair of draws which finished 1-1.
- Hull are unbeaten in three against Aston Villa with two of those games coming at home.
- Jarrod Bowen and Albert Adomah were top scorers for their teams last season in league, scoring 14 goals each as well as one cup goal too.
- Aston Villa manager, Steve Bruce has avoided defeat in his last five opening matches at a club outside of Premier League.
This weekend has seen plenty of tight games settled by one goal margins so we shouldn’t expect much here.
Three of last five Play-Off losers have won on opening weekend of new season so I am going to go for a narrow Villa win.
Prediction: Hull City 0-1 Aston Villa
Result: Hull City 1-3 Aston Villa