This weekend’s EFL play-off finals kicked off in thrilling style as Fulham saw off Aston Villa to clinch promotion to Premier League.
Now, its time to discover who will take the Cottagers’ Championship spot as Rotherham United meet Shrewsbury Town in the League One Play-Off Final.
Rotherham will be without Jamie Proctor (knee) and Darren Potter (Achilles) for this match.
Shrewsbury are missing two-time goal scorer, Abu Ogogo as he continues to recover from a knee injury.
Midfielder, Junior Brown is a long-term absentee, having suffered a cruciate ligament injury in late October.
- Rotherham have won two of last three meetings, losing the other.
- Shrewsbury are yet to win at Wembley, losing on their last four visits including two Play-Off Finals when in League Two (2006-07 & 2008-09).
- Rotherham meanwhile have won on both of their trips to Wembley, albeit their most recent victory did come via penalties in 2013-14.
- In the last seven meetings between the teams who finished regular season third and fourth, the latter team has progressed on six of those occasions.
- Shrewsbury manager, Paul Hurst won and lost one play-off finals when in charge of Grimsby Town.
Two of last three finals at Wembley across all competitions have been won by a single goal, so don’t expect much here.
Given that Shrewsbury have often battled relegation in recent seasons, I feel that this is their only chance to clinch promotion and defeat could knock them back physiologically.
Rotherham meanwhile will just bounce back from defeat and come back stronger next season.
For that reason, I am backing The Shrews to win this.
Prediction: Rotherham United 0-1 Shrewsbury Town
Result: Rotherham United 2-1 Shrewsbury Town AET (Rotherham United are PROMOTED!!!)