This weekend’s big Saturday game in the Premier League comes at 3pm as relegation threatened Southampton welcome rivals, Bournemouth to St Marys Stadium.
With three tricky games left after this, the Saints know that they need victory here if are to stand any chance at avoiding the drop.
Bournemouth meanwhile are virtually safe on 38 points but can guarantee their passage into next season here with a win.
Southampton are without winger, Sofiane Boufal after the Moroccan has been banished from the senior squad following a fall-out with manager, Mark Hughes.
Steven Davis could be missing for the rest of run in with an Achilles injury.
Defender, Jack Stephens can return after serving a three match ban.
Bournemouth will be without Harry Arter, after the midfielder suffered an Achilles problem.
Adam Smith is close to full fitness so could return next weekend.
Southampton come into this game on a barren run of form, taking just a draw from their last six matches in all competitions.
During that run, they have scored four and conceded 14 goals.
The Saints in fact haven’t won any of their last eight league games since a 3-2 away win at West Bromwich Albion on 3rd February.
Bournemouth have lost their last two consecutive league games without scoring, having suffered just two defeats in previous 14 league games beforehand and netting at least one goal per game.
On the road in 2018, Bournemouth have conceded six goals in seven away games before half time.
- Southampton are yet to lose at home to Bournemouth in all competitions (W8 D5).
- The Saints have lost just one Premier League meeting in this fixture, losing 2-0 at Bournemouth in March 2016 (W2 D2 L1).
- Southampton won three of four previous meetings here 2-0.
- Callum Wilson, Joshua King and Junior Stanislas have all scored twice for Bournemouth away from Dean Court in 2018, more than any other player.
- Against Southampton’s fellow bottom three members, Bournemouth have picked up am away win and loss apiece. They lost at West Brom in August before beating Stoke at BET365 Stadium in October.
Where can game be won or lost?
|Per Game Average||Southampton (home)||Bournemouth (away)|
|Shots on Target||4||3.71|
|Goals per First Half %||44.4||50|
|Goals per Second Half %||55.6||50|
Don’t expect a thriller here if those stats are anything to go by, with both teams looking tightly matched.
Although Southampton are the more attacking side, both teams are roughly level when it comes to clinical finishing.
Their discipline is also very similar but Bournemouth draw less fouls, which might ultimately be key to the result.
In end, expect a winner if there is one, to probably come from a mistake.
I am finding it difficult to see where goals will come from here but if we do get a winner, I think that it will be an away win.
Ultimately, I am going for a draw.
Prediction: Southampton 0-0 Bournemouth
Jake predicts: Southampton 0-2 Bournemouth
Result: Southampton 2-1 Bournemouth