With Chelsea, Leicester City, Brighton & Hove Albion, Southampton and …… already through to the FA Cup Quarter Finals, Tottenham will be looking to avoid a cupset at Spotland as they face Rochdale.
The build up to this match has been dogged by concerns over the state of the pitch, despite new turf being laid ahead of this clash.
Rochdale striker, Calvin Andrew will miss this tie with an Achilles injury.
Alex Dobre, Sam Hart, Billy Knott and Scott Wiseman will not feature, after being cup tied by their previous clubs.
Tottenham could rest Harry Kane, after he picked up a twisted ankle during the 2-2 draw in Juventus during midweek.
Mauricio Pochettino instead is expected to field several fringe players like Fernando Llorente and Michel Vorm.
Lucas Moura could make his FA Cup debut here after missing the fourth round replay through ineligibility.
Toby Alderweireld is also expected to start.
- This the first ever meeting between these two sides.
- During this decade, Spurs have met eight teams from the third or fourth tiers of English Football. They progressed on every occasion although two ties needed a home replay, including 2011-12 at this stage against Stevenage.
- The aggregate goal score from those ten meetings altogether (including replays) is 29-6 in Tottenham’s favour.
- Rochdale are yet to reach the FA Cup Quarter Finals, losing their last two appearances at this stage.
- Spurs are unbeaten in 13 across all competitions but have drawn their last four away trips.
Although Rochdale will give it everything, I fancy Spurs to learn from the experience of Newport’s pitch and avoid a replay or cupset here.
Prediction: Rochdale 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Result: Rochdale 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur