With just four weekends till Xmas, this is the start of a crucial month for every league around the country.
Whilst League One and Two clubs are in FA Cup action, Leeds vs Aston Villa take centre stage on Sky Sports’ Friday Night Championship football.
Ronaldo Vieira is available again for Leeds United after suspension.
Pierre-Michel Lasogga is still out but Eunan O’Kane could make his return to midfield from a hip injury.
Aston Villa’s injury crisis is becoming full blown, after Miles Jedinak joins five other players on sidelines.
They include; John Terry, Henri Lansbury and Scott Hogan.
- Only twice have Leeds met Aston Villa outside of the top flight or cup competitions (1987-88).
- This fixture was played at this stage last season at Elland Road with the Whites winning 2-0.
- Leeds have avoided defeat in eight of last nine games against the Villains (W4, D3, L1) with 9 goals in that period.
- Steve Bruce has visited Elland Road six times and has faced a different manager each time. His record is (W2, L4).
- Ezgjan Alioski could become the first Leeds player in six years to score in five consecutive games since Ross McCormack in September 2011.
- Despite scoring in last five league games, Albert Adomah hasn’t scored at Elland Road in six previous trips.
Thrilling opener in store?
We could have a thrilling first half in store here given that Leeds tend to score home goals before half time.
Aston Villa also tend to score in the opening half, albeit away from Villa Park.
This could be a thriller if both teams find goals before half time.
Although Adomah has been on fire lately for Villa, their and Steve Bruce’s record at Elland Road has been poor with no win since 2000.
For that reason, I am backing Leeds to edge it 2-1.
Prediction: Leeds United 2-1 Aston Villa
Result: Leeds 1-1 Aston Villa